Friday, April 27, 2007

Fur and Oil

Wednesday morning I discovered a mouse stuck in a sticky trap that one of my roommates had set in the kitchen on the floor by the sink. Nobody else was around--so I sat down at the table and tried to ignore it. I thought that the mouse was dead, and I didn't want to be the one responsible for disposing of its tiny body. But suddenly, the mouse began to struggle and let out a terrible shriek. I couldn't bare to stay in the room--I felt so bad for the creature! What a terrible fate! I headed to the living room at sat down on the couch, but could still hear the rodent's cries.

I called my friend Stephen, and luckily he told me that the mouse could be freed with oil. I had no idea! I thought that the poor thing was stuck until it died. I headed back to the kitchen and scooped it up with a dustpan, and set it free with some sesame oil behind the house. I should have taken it to the alley way at least...later Gnoll told me that sometimes, when a mouse is caught in a trap like that, it will chew its own leg off, leaving a tiny trail of blood as it drags its body across the floor...I hope that my roommate decides on using a different kind of trap.

No comments: